Life Skills Counsellor
Number of Positions: 2
Reports To: Program Director
Compensation: $71.50/day + meals and accommodation
Location: Camp Woodeden (London, ON) and Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON) each require 1 Life Skills Counsellor Employment Dates:
Camp Merrywood: June 3, 2023 – August 29, 2023
Camp Woodeden: June 3, 2023 – August 9, 2023
At Easter Seals Ontario, we provide overnight camping opportunities for kids and young adults with physical disabilities. Each summer we welcome staff from all over the world and pride ourselves on providing an awesome pre-camp training, so our staff are equipped with all the skills they need to give our campers a great experience. Our camps make many traditional summer camp activities accessible and inclusive, such as swimming, boating, archery, high ropes, and more! Check out our website to learn more about our locations in Perth, Ontario and London, Ontario.
Reporting to the Program Director, the Life Skills Counsellor is responsible for designing and facilitating a high quality, accessible Life Skills program including personal advocacy, baking, cooking, gardening/plant care, and laundry/cleaning.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Develop program goals following the Easter Seals Ontario camp goals & objectives.
- Develop a camp specific risk management plan for the life skills program.
- Responsible for completing an inventory upon arrival and prior to departure from camp.
- Orient the entire staff to the life skills program area.
- Maintain the equipment and supplies. Report any necessary repairs to the Site Manager.
- Assist counsellors in helping the campers participate in the life skills program.
- Responsible for providing appropriate camper care including bathing, showering, brushing teeth, hair care, dressing, toileting (changing incontinence pads), cleaning intermittent catheterization, feeding, lifting and transferring, and any other activities of daily living. Training for these activities is provided during pre-camp orientation.
- Participate as a member of the program staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events and other all-camp activities.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
Physical Aspects of the Job
- Ability to observe camper behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-management techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Be able to manage physical activities such as running, standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requirement for eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to assist campers.
Minimum Age: 18 years
Preference given to those with life skills and adaptive program education or experience. Previous camp experience an asset. Standard First Aid/CPR is required prior to the start of the camp season. Safe Food Handling Course required.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
- Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
- Onsite housing provided for camping season and meals provided on camp session days.
- June – August eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.