Assistant Camp Director
Number of Positions: 2
Reports To: Camp Director
Locations: Camp Woodeden (London, ON) and Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON) each require 1 Assistant Camp Director
Employment Dates and Compensation:
Pre-season: March 1, 2023 – May 23, 2023. 5-10hrs/week, remote, flexible. $18/hr.
Camp Merrywood Onsite: May 24, 2023 – August 29, 2023. $132.50/day + meals and accommodation
Camp Woodeden Onsite: May 24, 2023 – August 9, 2023. $132.50/day + meals and accommodation
At Easter Seals Ontario, we provide overnight camping opportunities for kids and young adults with physical disabilities. Each summer we welcome staff from all over the world and pride ourselves on providing an awesome pre-camp training, so our staff are equipped with all the skills they need to give our campers a great experience. Our camps make many traditional summer camp activities accessible and inclusive, such as swimming, boating, archery, high ropes, and more! Check out our website to learn more about our locations in Perth, Ontario and London, Ontario.
Reporting to the Camp Director, the Assistant Camp Director is an integral part of the Leadership Team and shares responsibility for planning, implementing, and overseeing an inclusive, anti- oppressive, camper-focused camp program and culture. The Assistant Counselling Director supports pre-camp training initiatives, supervises camp programs and staff, provides guidance and advice to staff members, and works closed with the Camp Director, Counselling Director, and Program Director to ensure that camp is operated in a safe and fun manner.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Work as an integral member of the Leadership Team.
- Support the Camp Director and Health Care Director in the planning of pre-camp staff training and provide opportunities for staff development throughout the summer.
- Share responsibility for planning, implementing, and overseeing an inclusive, anti- oppressive, camper-focused camp program and culture.
- Work with the Leadership Team to assign camper cabins, schedule camp activities, manage camp staff schedules, and oversee the day-to-day management of the camping program.
- Work with the Leadership Team to review and implement the risk management plan for the camp.
- Be familiar with the Ontario Camping Association standards and Ontario regulations pertaining to recreational camping and those regulations specific to activity areas including but not limited to public pools, archery, sailing, canoeing, high ropes.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies and procedures as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual, the Leadership Team Manual, and Nursing Guidelines.
- Work closely with the nursing staff to ensure appropriate camper intake, information transfer, camper care, and emergency response protocols are in place. Participate in the planning and facilitation of associated trainings.
- Ensures proper completion, timely submission, and sign off of assigned reports.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Camp Director.
- Acts as the Camp Director when the Camp Director is off-site.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper and staff behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-support techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations, and lead emergency procedures.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Able to manage lifting, some bending, stooping, and stretching as well as daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
Minimum age: 19 years old
1-2 years senior camp experience preferred, Pool and Challenge Course experience is preferred. Full G Class license or willing to obtain, NLS an asset, Challenge Course Practitioner Level II or higher or willingness to obtain (will provide training option). Preference given to those who have studied in a child development related field.
- Work part-time offsite from March – May and full-time onsite from May – August.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
- Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
- Onsite housing provided for camping season; meals provided during camp sessions.
- June – August eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
- Required to be on-call for one of the changeover periods during the summer.
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.